Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Closed Case...

I made a new case for my kindle recently , as my old one was getting a bit tatty .
What do you think ?
The main fabric is Daisy Doodle Dandy in charcoal by Michael Miller ,
and it 's put together with a length of teal piping and a small piece of a co-ordinating stripe  . (Believe it or not, the 'grellow' striped fabric was a tea towel . I often snap them up when I see pretty ones in the supermarket for a couple of dollars .) The fun swirly lining , which matches really well , is Mini Ironwork in turquoise , also by MM .
This case is made for a Kindle 3, which measures 190mm x 120mm , but you could adapt the design for any eReader or electronic gadget . ( The finished size should be 2 cm larger all round than your device, which allows for the thickness of the padding and makes for a snug fit . )
It' s made in 6 pieces - I cut the outside front, back and both front and back lining pieces to 24cm x 17cm , the inside and outside of the flap were 10cm x 17cm . I used 1.5cm seams all round .
The front and back panels are padded with 1cm thick wadding to protect the device , cut 1cm smaller all 'round and both pieces of the flap are fused to medium weight interfacing .
I used a small piece of hat elastic to make the closure, with a fabulous matching button (co-ordinates by LaMode) sewn on to finish - just pull the centre of the elastic loop slightly with a fabric pencil to mark where to sew the button .
I don ' t have all the process photos , as I made it at a craft night at a friend's house and didn't have my camera (not to mention that I'd rather not look like a wally in front of ladies I ' d only just met ) but you can find a good tutorial here if you've never made a lined pouch before .
I'm off to do some reading...or maybe just look at the cover for while. So pretty . . .

P.S. " He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. By study, by reading, by thinking, one may innocently divert and pleasantly entertain himself, as in all weathers, as in all fortunes. " Barrow

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails