Thursday, December 13, 2012

Purple Haze . . .

I made a purple topper for our rainbow tree last week, over a couple of days.
I used these . . .
I already  had everything except the plastic star ($2 from the cheap shop) and the purple glitter paint (also $2 from the cheap shop - I'm the last of the big spenders!).
First, I glued some braid around the edges of the star to give it some interest.
 This took ages to dry, so I couldn't do the next step until the following day. Yeesh!
Then I painted the whole lot with the glitter paint, which didn't turn out as well as expected. This is after 3 coats, and actually looks darker in the photo than in reality. The 'paint 'is more like clear glue with purple glitter in it.
To add some depth to the colour, I mixed up some leftovers to make the best dark-ish purple I could without having to buy anything! I painted over the lot, and then added another glitter layer once it was dry. Phew.
Finally I was able to add a hessian flower and a ribbon bow . . .
and get it on the tree!
P.S. "Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, 
they are all 30 feet tall." Larry Wilde

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails